Powered By Blogger

Thursday, January 5, 2012

'Contagion' Rewatch

Gonna go on a rant about 'Contagion'- a film I put on my top films of 2011 list before checking out for the second time. It just stuck with me in the theater, but frustrated me at the same time. Still it affected me more than most films, and watching it today I understand even more what stuck with me and what didn't work. It's not a perfect movie, but most aren't- and in a crappy year (in film, in general, 2011 was for the BIRDS) it stood out.


What REALLY stood out is the excellent synth-score by Cliff Martinez. Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross won an Oscar for their masterful (and I don't throw that word around lightly) 'Social Network' score. The whole movie is pretty much the perfect film- or most perfect film I've seen. Easily favorite film of all time. Mad love for 'Social Network'. But what really made that movie pop and this one too, is the electro-synth-y score that sticks in your head. I thought one of the most disappointing aspects of the 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' score by TR/AR lacked as many really great grooves. I really want to see it again.

Back to 'Contagion'- the cast is great across the board too. Gwyneth Paltrow really makes an impression, as does Kate Winslet and relative unknown Jennifer Ehle. Steven Soderbourgh does well with large Hollywood casts- and I like these types of films. The only thread that feels unfinished would be Marion Cotillard's. But she does well despite.

No comments:

Post a Comment