Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

When Did Horror Decide to Rule Small Screen?!?


Okay seriously, 'The Walking Dead' is a damn good show. I watch this "midseason" finale thinking it was the real finale- and I'm oh so glad it's not. But, it was last week's episode that really sold me. What's with the penultimate episodes (yeah, the 'so-called' boring, "talky" ones that begin the unraveling of all the seasons secrets) that really win me over. The second to the last episode of season three in 'True Blood' is still my favorite. Every actor on that show was at the top of their game- delivering game-changing performances- this WHOLE season of 'Walking Dead' has been like that. Sort of AMC's way of reminding us they aren't a one-off ('Mad Men') station.

What comes out of AMC and the pay cable shows is where originality and quality have been able to flourish. What they are able to deliver week to week is really incredible sometimes, every episode of 'Walking Dead' this season was better than most mainstream movies. I'm intrigued by that picture above advertising the show says FOX instead of AMC. If 'Walking Dead' was on FOX it'd be playing Friday's at 10, not blowing basic cable prime time Sundays out of the water, that's for damn sure.


Speaking of big and bad ass, 'True Blood' proved itself to be one of the most original pieces of pop fiction right now with this most recent season. It is, incredible. It knows exactly what the audience wants (most the time) and DELIVERS week to week. Even it's weakest episodes are awesome somehow. And with the most recent finale (I won't be spoil-blogger) shows the show is not scared of doing whatever it takes to shock you. I was floored.

Other great shows out there...MAD MEN (as I mentioned) is so much better than you expect it to be each week. It's the show I most love to watch that I never want to watch. If that makes sense. It doesn't. Anyways, SHAMELESS, WEEDS & NURSE JACKIE are all great. 'Shameless' in particular, proved in one season it was ready for the major leagues. 'Weeds' and 'Nurse Jackie' do a balancing act of juggling story and characters and laughs and drama into 30 minute episodes. Ruining the momentum of any real week to week enjoyment. But GREAT with a whole season and a free weekend. I have a lot to say about television and various shows actually. I'll bring more up.

No comments:

Post a Comment